Sunday, August 12, 2007

A Note to Stewart (But open to all)

Stewart, in the house you maintained that there is a time and a place where cursing is appropriate. I think I kind of folded on that issue at the time, but I have since become more firm in my position, that it is neither appropriate, nor healthy to curse. The Bible says that life and death are in the power of the tongue, and then admonishes us to choose life, "that it may go well" with us. Basically, that words are powerful spiritual tools that play a very real role in the events of one's life. At this point, I would like to mention that I'm not trying to preach at you. Actually, quite the opposite, I'd really love to know what you think about this. (I miss our TASP-y debates like...well, I can't actually think of anything that I miss so much--other than you all, of course)

1 comment:

Stewart Sinclair said...

Charles and I spoke about this, Elexis. There is also the reference to I forget who it is, but someone standing before god proclaiming that he was unclean and could not speak to the lord because of the filth that plagued his tongue. Of course, I'm severely, perhaps inaccurately, paraphrasing, but both references speak of speech as a powerful tool, but not as profanity as a sin. Is it possible that it could be interpreted to mean that to speak ill of others is disdainful? It is reproachful to slander others or take god's name in vain, but this does not necessarily pertain to the 'f' 's' or 'b' words? Your response?